Monday, June 4, 2012

Fun Weekend!

The nap that I took yesterday afternoon was very well deserved!  I spent last week working (of course) and preparing to host a dear friend's baby shower.  My weekend actually started on Thursday night with my company outing to a Birmingham Barons game.  There was a threat of rain, but we had a very nice evening for hanging out, eating, and chatting baseball.  Some of us went out for a drink after the game to Wine'd Down.  It's a great, relaxed place that sometimes has live music. 

After work on Friday, I met up with Dana for an evening of BBQ and music.  We had Saw's BBQ in Homewood and it was delicious.  We were even able to get a table outside.  There were a lot of people out and about so we had some good people watching.  I followed my BBQ meal with some banana pudding gelato (and I wish I had some more right now).  I only tested about 5 flavors before deciding on half chocolate, half banana pudding.  Then, Dana and I headed over to Railroad Park to hear the Alabama Symphony Orchestra perform.  We had our folding chairs ready for an evening of music under the stars.  Though we had both dressed "warmly" (me in a maxi dress with a cardigan, Dana in pants with knit shirt and denim jacket), it was still pretty cool.  Luckily, Dana had a quilt in the trunk of her car that we used to stay warm.  Red wine helped, too.  Who knew it could be so cold in Alabama on June 1st? 


On Saturday, I helped host a baby shower for my friend Cammie.  She is going to have a baby girl this August.  I'm hoping to have more pictures to add late, but this was the cake, which matched the invitations.  The cake tasted as good as it looks.  I'm thrilled with how it turned out and definitely recommend the baker, Whitney.  I gave her a few details, a copy of the invitation, and told her to do whatever she wanted.  Beautiful and tasty! 




I made a diaper cake, tissue paper balls, punch and homemade cream cheese mints.  The other hostesses brought fruit and chicken salad sandwiches.  We also had a fun "Price is Right" type game.  I'll post more pictures when I get them from the other girls.  Cammie got lots of good stuff and I think everyone had a nice time.  I love celebrating with my friends.  Chris and Cammie will be amazing parents. 

After being at church on Sunday morning from 8 am till noon, I rested yesterday afternoon - with just a little laundry, cleaning, and dish-washing thrown in so as not to feel completely lazy.  Now, I have a busy week followed by another busy weekend.  It's summertime and I intend to enjoy every minute of it! 

1 comment:

Beth said...

YAY - can't wait to see pics of Cammie's sweet baby girl - so excited for them!!! Cake looks awesome!!!!!