Sunday, February 12, 2012

Official what?

While taking my vitamins today, I remembered a funny story.  A few months ago, I went to my doctor for a check up (regular doctor).  I just like to get checked out and have blood work, etc. done once a year or so.  I talked over a few things with my doctor and we talked about some of my tough times.  At the end of the visit, he asked "can I say a prayer with you?"  Absolutely!  If you need a general practitioner in Birmingham, I definitely recommend my doctor.  He really pays attention and is very thorough.  I stopped by the lab on my way out to leave all of my bodily fluids. 

A day or so later, I got a call on my cell phone from a number that I didn't know.  I answered and the girl said very quickly "this is ----- at Dr. ------'s office.  He wants you to start taking an official supplement."  Who?  Official what?  I had to get her to repeat what she had just said and I still didn't get it.  Official who?  She finally slowed down and said "a fish oil supplement."  Oh!  Then, I had like 27 questions about where and what to buy.  Are all fish oil supplements created equally?  How much should I take?  I think the nurse got annoyed and told me just to take a standard one and the amount the label says.  I could tell she wasn't going to be helpful, so I just said OK.  Then, I asked my friend Leanne about it.  Of course, she had a lot of good information for me and I set out to the pharmacy to buy an "official supplement!"  Reading all the labels was amusing.  I went for the one that says "no fish burps."  Seriously.  I don't know what a fish burp is and I don't want to know. 

I've now been hearing all kinds of good things about fish oil.  My family has a history of heart disease/high blood pressure and fish oil is supposed to be great for heart health.  I probably should have started taking this years ago.  I'll go back the doctor in a few months to see if it's working.  I think it is, but a blood test will give me "official" results.  Ha!  It makes me laugh even now!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That is funny!!

Brandi said...

I love this story!!! Haha!!! Im laughing out loud right now!!!

Christy said...

Hilarious story! Thanks for sharing the laugh today! Seriously, that is laugh out loud funny! :)