Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Stoned...

Not really.....but I saw a lot of it!  I went today at lunch to select the granite for the kitchen in the townhouse.  When thinking about how to match granite/flooring/etc. to the existing kitchen cabinets, it seemed like a bit of a challenge since I want to select everything before closing and have work begin immediately after.  I fixed that problem, though.  I "borrowed" a kitchen cabinet door from the sellers.  A moment of brilliance on my part, I think.  Today, my cabinet door and I went to Maranatha Granite in Pelham.  My assumption was that I would be looking at tiny samples of granite, but I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to see actual full slabs.  I knew that I wanted a lighter color, so we just walked around holding up the cabinet door to different pieces.  Everyone at the shop was very friendly and helped me pick something that I love.

I selected a slab called St. Cecilia Yellow.  Of course, it didn't occur to me to take a picture and the images I've found online vary in color.  This is the closest picture I can find.  It was exciting to find the one I liked and watch the person write "Sold" on it.  My contractor and I were also able to get a small sample piece that's similar to use for selecting the back-splash tile. 


I also picked out a sink - nothing exciting, just an under mount stainless, single bowl.  There are a few more selections to be made next week (flooring, back-splash tile, & faucet).  Flooring will be tricky since I'm doing wood and the cabinets are stained.  Luckily, my contractor has taken the cabinet and granite sample to narrow down my choices.  If I see too many things, it can get confusing.  Once these selections are made, I think that's it and I'll just be waiting for closing.  I don't have to be in a rush to move, but I'm getting anxious to have the work done so I can get in and get settled.  I've already started looking at the calendar to see when I can host the first (of many) gatherings.  I hope I haven't lost all of my hostess-ing skillz!  :)

1 comment:

Erin said...

That's so pretty! We chose the single bowl sink as well and LOVE it.